Ideas that changed my life - for good

Below is the list of some of the most powerful ideas and experiences that completely changed my life - for good. As I age out and new experience will get added in my life, the page will be updated. I hope you will like it and use it, its free !! :)

Here is the list

1. Topping the list is Vipassana - In my 35 years, I haven't seen or done anything better than this. I am 10000% sure, I won't see anything better than this in this life or in my future lives. One has to experience it to believe it. Reading / Listening about Vipassana doesn't help. I could write 1000 pages of content on it in great detail, but it would be useless for the reader. As I said, one has to experience to believe it, like the sweetness of a candy can only be experienced but difficult to describe. The only thing that I know which has survived for more than 1000 years apart from language and Culture. Both Language and Culture are non-universal. Not everyone can use it in their personal lives. Vipassana is universal. Everybody (Hindu / Muslim / Christian / Literate / Illiterate / Rich / Poor etc.) can use it in their personal lives and the best part - Its free !!

2. Avoid dumb things - Sounds funny and obvious right ? But in our daily lives, we do extreme dumb things without even knowing about it unfortunately. Our mind perceives an idea as a brilliant thought and our brain is so biased towards that thing that any opposite opinion is outrightly rejected. We develop not so good opinion about the person with opposite opinion. I learned to respect contra views hard way. In fact contra views have to be actively embraced. Easier said than done. As Charlie Munger says - "Our brain is like an egg, it closes down its opening gates as soon as the first sperm is entered".

One of  the common dumb thing - Taking on debt. Another quote from Charlie Munger - "Tell me where I am going to die, so that I won't go there". Debt is one such place where people / companies die. I could have killed myself because of debt. Jessie Livermore became the richest person in the world - twice, yet he committed suicide because of debt. Fortunately I survived but with lot of help from parents and sister. I am not only debt free now but can retire in few years. I would highly not recommend anyone to take debt even for buying a house. When you take housing loan, you are assuming that for next 10-20 years, nothing will happen and your income will sustain and even increase. 10-20 years is very long time frame. Here is the list of big things happened in my life in last 10 years - I completed my MBA, got married, got kid, bought a house, changed jobs, changed country, was jobless for short period. None of this I had planned. Life is so uncertain and throws so many uncertainties. When you take a housing loan, you are 100% sure that nothing will happen to your income in next 10-20 years.

Point 3 is the way to be financially free - you can settle in any place on earth using point 3.

3. Richest man on babylon - Below is the simple formula to retire rich

Earn --> Save 40% - 50% of income through frugal living --> Invest Savings --> Repeat for 10-20 years --> You can retire by 40-50. No need to work post that. I gained this simple knowledge when I was 33. Better late than never. One can retire in any place on earth. So it doesn't makes sense to take debt even to buy a house.

4. Simple. Most extremely intelligent things in life are simple. Einstein said "Simplicity is the highest form of Intelligence". Most simple things are very difficult to follow. This is because these simple things require discipline to follow for many years. Most people lack this discipline and the effects are not visible immediately. The effects are visible after many years.

5. Power of Compounding - Human brain is designed to think linearly. Hence we require a teacher to teach us to think exponentially. Compounding is an exponential idea. Below image describes Power of compounding. Compounding can be implemented in all aspects of life - money, principles and human values, brand etc. Effect of compounding is visible only after long periods of time even with minimal efforts.




All of 5 things mentioned above are extremely simple. But none of them are easy to practice. Why ? - Multiple reasons - lack of discipline / visible effects take lot of time. I hope these experiences can be used by people reading it and develop patience to practice it - day in day out for many years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IKIGAI

Decision for buying a house